Warning if you are new to DCT

RoMan16

Interesting point Steven. I don't know much about ABS on the CTX but have some knowledge about autos and I understand it is designed to eliminate wheel lock up when brakes are applied. That being said how does it know you are coming to a stop? Don't the wheels stop moving then(lock-up)? Never known ABS to prevent you from coming to a complete stop :)

When speed drops below 10 mph ABS stops working.

Steven

That's too bad because the only time I ever went down because of lost tire traction (different bike and the pavement was slippery - oil leached out of the asphalt) I was going slower than that.

randy1149

With ABS the wheels don't lock up, that's the problem (lockups) is the reason they where invented. The CTX going less than 10 MPH probably doesn't have enough inertia to lock up the wheels.

Dub3

I am not sure the OP has ever ridden a CTX, maybe even never driven an automobile with an automatic transmission. I've ridden over 100,000 miles on automatic scooters and motorcycles and have never seen or heard of such occurrences. I find it curious that this is the OP's first post?

Wow did I just get flamed? I'm sorry if my post was out line. For ponydrvd information I do own a CTX 700nd and love it in fact I'm replacing my Yamaha V-Star 650 Silverado with the CTX. As far as driving automatics I hope ponydrvd lives long enough to drive as many as I have over the past 70 years of driving, the first being the '48 or '49 Buick Dynaflow, Remember that one?

Yes I am new to the CTX and this forum and was under the impression the forum was for the exchange of information and experiences by both new and experienced riders to promote safe and enjoyable riding experiences.. If I'm wrong please let me know and I will look further and no offense taken.

Respectfully, dub3

Steven

I'm sure it was a misunderstanding. Your point in the original post was well taken and for some new people it can take some time to get used to having the bike always in gear. I actually like it because when I'm at a light next to another bike in the next lane, I'm down the road before they get their bike in gear and for some reason, especially Harley's. This DCT thingy is really cool.

ponydrvr

Howdy folks I know that all of you have seen reports of cars running through store fronts when parking out front. Right?

Well after using a manual shift with a clutch I have discovered a hazard with the Honda CTX 700ND. When one pulls up to a stop the rider will have his right hand on both the brake and throttle at the same time. If he is not carefull when he stops and releases the brake his hand might slip a little and guess what - z o o m he is off and running over everything in front of him. Normally one would have the clutch disengaged So as not to stall the engine and a few extra revs kinda sound neat at that time - not so with tha DCT in either auto or manual mode. After jumping the curb be sure to look around and count how many are laughing at you (or running for cover)

I am not sure the OP has ever ridden a CTX, maybe even never driven an automobile with an automatic transmission. I've ridden over 100,000 miles on automatic scooters and motorcycles and have never seen or heard of such occurrences. I find it curious that this is the OP's first post?

Wow did I just get flamed? I'm sorry if my post was out line. For ponydrvd information I do own a CTX 700nd and love it in fact I'm replacing my Yamaha V-Star 650 Silverado with the CTX. As far as driving automatics I hope ponydrvd lives long enough to drive as many as I have over the past 70 years of driving, the first being the '48 or '49 Buick Dynaflow, Remember that one?

Yes I am new to the CTX and this forum and was under the impression the forum was for the exchange of information and experiences by both new and experienced riders to promote safe and enjoyable riding experiences.. If I'm wrong please let me know and I will look further and no offense taken.

Respectfully, dub3

@Dub3
I am sorry you feel I flamed you. I would not intentionally do that to you or anyone with credentials of record. Please accept my sincere apologies.

If I may. Your original post, and your 1st post on this forum, did not indicate that you owned, had ridden, or otherwise had firsthand knowledge of the CTX. IMHO, your stated danger appears so extreme as to be of limited credibility without background information as to your credentials as a rider or membership. Couple that with the facts that you did not list a location to your profile, no personal introduction to the group and it appeared to me that your 1st post was a troll post.

For the record my earliest engine powered vehicle was a 1936 John Deere Model A tractor followed by a 1929 Model A Ford Town and Country Touring Sedan, '55 Oldsmobile and on and on.

Let me welcome you to this forum and I assure you that I am not much younger than you.

Merlin III

Welcome Dub3. I agree with Woodswoman. PonyDrvr was a little shocked by your post as was I, but the whole experience was good for the forum. We all learned something about the bike and communicating. One lesson I have learned a long time ago is that short forum posts can be very easily misunderstood. That is why I use the smiley face icons more than most. :)

Last edited:

popeyoni

Well I rode a scooter (Cushman) back around 1945 to deliver newspapers, but that was a long time ago and it didn't have the power of a CTX and one could almost hold it in place with power applied.

OK, that's a really long time! ;)

Anyway, the behavior you described happened to me on my first bike, which was a scooter.
I was trying to brake and accidentally pulled the throttle too. Ran into a bush. Very embarrassing. :(
I am glad I got that scooter first. On the CTX, I might have ended up in the lake beyond the bushes.
I learned from that and it's never happened again.

burdicda

You want to also watch out for Grampbusters....I put the wide one on my CTX DCT and wow several times I just dropped my hand on the grip and zoom zoom I was out the gate...good thing nothing was coming...LOL

I took it off and am thinking about getting the narrow width one like a band aid size...
place it waaaay out on the end of the grip....