Rider mag

ofdave

nice letter to the editor in the current issue.
It's from Mark Daniel in Apple Valley, MN
He says good things about the DCT.
Not sure if he's on this forum but have seen him on the other one.

casper

I saw that, too, and yes, he is a member. I'll let him 'fess up if he wants to, though.

Yep. That'd be me. :) after reading Tuttle's article on the NC it was way too good of an opportunity to do a ctx plug as well! Couldn't let that go by!

ofdave

@casper
I thought it was a great plug for the DCT as well.
So many think an automatic bike is sacrilege for no reason other than unwillingness to give it fair consideration.
I don't have one but would really consider it on my next bike.
We need more riders to fess up to the benefits and also to let others know what a great bike the CTX is.
Sadly, the CTX 700 may be headed the way of the dodo bird because Honda doesn't seem to know what to do with it.
Glad I have mine and with only 16000 mi., it'll be in the garage a good while for sure.

Steven

The last automatic died and I remember when it came out. It only had two gears and there were concerns that it would change gears in the middle of a turn and upset the bike. I had never ridden one so I can't verify that. The DCT is light years ahead of that and the mistake that Honda made was to use it with such an underpowered bike like the CTX700 and then on an adventure bike. I'm not saying that the DCT doesn't belong on those bikes, rather that neither is a bike that most people buy. The CTX700 is a cruiser bike but doesn't look like one so naturally, people wanting a cruiser will look elsewhere. The implementation on the African twin was better and most reviewers really like it, but again, it's not conventional and I think many people are afraid of new unproven technology. I should add one more thing about the CTX700. I looked up quarter mile times for Harleys and the CTX has about the same acceleration as most of them, I guess slow is relative.

One other thing that stands out in reviews of the CTX compared to similar bikes is that it has no character, it just goes about its business getting a person from point A to point B with no fuss and no muss, appliance like for lack of a better description. I guess that's true because when I'm on a ride, I rarely think about the bike itself, I'm more tuned into my surroundings.

casper

The last automatic died and I remember when it came out. It only had two gears and there were concerns that it would change gears in the middle of a turn and upset the bike. I had never ridden one so I can't verify that. The DCT is light years ahead of that and the mistake that Honda made was to use it with such an underpowered bike like the CTX700 and then on an adventure bike. I'm not saying that the DCT doesn't belong on those bikes, rather that neither is a bike that most people buy. The CTX700 is a cruiser bike but doesn't look like one so naturally, people wanting a cruiser will look elsewhere. The implementation on the African twin was better and most reviewers really like it, but again, it's not conventional and I think many people are afraid of new unproven technology. I should add one more thing about the CTX700. I looked up quarter mile times for Harleys and the CTX has about the same acceleration as most of them, I guess slow is relative.

One other thing that stands out in reviews of the CTX compared to similar bikes is that it has no character, it just goes about its business getting a person from point A to point B with no fuss and no muss, appliance like for lack of a better description. I guess that's true because when I'm on a ride, I rarely think about the bike itself, I'm more tuned into my surroundings.

And if you think about that for a second, Steven, you just gave the ctx one of the greatest compliments one could give a bike. I know plenty of HD riders that don't take in the scenery because they're listening to their bikes shaking themselves to pieces. Or sprt bike riders who are concentrating on the next curve and hoping they're not coming into it too hot. Or feeling the bike has lost its grip.

I ride so I can feel the air, and my feet off the pavement at 75 mph, and I don't want to be thinking about the bike. At all. Just as a conveyance to bring me the happiness of riding. I want to see the world from that vantage point.

rickster

And if you think about that for a second, Steven, you just gave the ctx one of the greatest compliments one could give a bike. I know plenty of HD riders that don't take in the scenery because they're listening to their bikes shaking themselves to pieces. Or sprt bike riders who are concentrating on the next curve and hoping they're not coming into it too hot. Or feeling the bike has lost its grip.

I ride so I can feel the air, and my feet off the pavement at 75 mph, and I don't want to be thinking about the bike. At all. Just as a conveyance to bring me the happiness of riding. I want to see the world from that vantage point.

Well said!