Aftermarket rear Shock Modification

Steven

The first time I took my bike on the Interstate, I hit one of those expansion joints and the bike bottomed out and got very squirrely. The suspension just wan't made for heavier people like myself.

Merlin III

Watched The First 48 last night. The Detective introduced himself saying that 10 years ago he hit an expansion joint on an Inter-State that knocked him off his bike and caused him to lose his leg. I guess it is a real problem everywhere that goes with the neglect of our highways. I would at least wish they would put up warning signs for these really bad spots for motorcyclists. Or, maybe it is just a good idea to avoid Interstates. They aren't much fun anyhow.

Merlin III

This weekend I attended a BMW rally and put on 600 plus miles on the CTX over old NH and VT roads. The shock performed very well. No pain, no sharp jars. Now with that fixed, I am starting to noticed the need for bar risers. My right wrist feels like I have Carpal tunnel Syndrome, LOL. My shoulders also feel like they got a workout at the gym.

Steven

I'm glad you had a good ride. I will probably send mine back to have it redone because it's too short. Do you know what settings you used?

Merlin III

I'm glad you had a good ride. I will probably send mine back to have it redone because it's too short. Do you know what settings you used?
I remember you saying that. Are you saying that they sent you a shock smaller than the stock shock? What is the length? I believe I posted my new shock specs for you. I have only set the SAG and the shock body red damping adjuster. No, I have haphazardly done the adjusting. Everyone of the adjustments was done to get a more plush ride. The SAG was set at 33MM (from memory). The damping was set something like 6 clicks counter clockwise from the middle. Remember, my summertime weight is only abut 170 LBS. I guess on this trip I had another 40 pounds or so in camping gear.

One day I road with a guy from MI on a BMW R1200 RT over the Kancumagus Highway through the White Mountain National Forest. The road is in need of being repaved. I led the way and the MI guy fell way behind because of the roughness of the road. I acknowledged the despair of the road, but the new CTX shock handled it quite well.

I have done a lot of reading and viewed many vids on shock adjustment. The overall opinion that comes out of that is that finding the ideal adjustment is an art.

Thumper

Amen to that Merlin! I usually start at the middle on all my adjustments since my weight is average for my height, and then try to adjust in or out from there until I feel like I have it right. I wish I knew someone in my area that was an expert at suspension just so I could see how close I am. I guess it also depends on the kind of riding you do. I do mostly easy riding and although I love carving curves, I am no road racer. I do very light off road riding. I have mine set pretty well for just riding easy on secondary roads as far as I can tell. I am definitely no artist though!

Steven

Merlin - I didn't measure it, but it was about an inch too short. Even after adjusting the shock length it was still too short. I've included pictures so you can see how it looks on the bike, before and after. Look at the height of the brake caliper and you can see how much lower the bike sits with the Penske. Penske sent the specs they used to build the shock, the numbers are correct, but the shock they sent isn't the length they said it was. I did measure the stock shock length (298 mm) and it was the length that they said the new shock was supposed to be. I think someone goofed.

IMG_6275-1.jpgIMG_6475-1.jpg

Merlin III

Steve, so sorry to hear that. They should send you that other front shock thing you were talking about for free!

Steven

I understand things happening, but it seems they are dragging their feet on a resolution. Maybe it's too early to say that.

Merlin III

You bought that through Peter. right? If so, have him "through some weight behind you". Having met him in person, I was impressed on a lot of levels, including his lifting the rear of the bike off the ground with one hand.

Steven

You bought that through Peter. right? If so, have him "through some weight behind you". Having met him in person, I was impressed on a lot of levels, including his lifting the rear of the bike off the ground with one hand.

Considering what you said, perhaps I should tread gently... :)

But you're right, they're sitting on this doing nothing and I'm getting a little upset at this point. As far as I can figure it's Penske mistake.

Steven

Well, I sent a wake up email and it worked. I got responses from both Peter and Penske. Apparently, Peter has been really busy this year and has worked every day since January without a day off. In other words, his table is pretty full. I can understand that. Anyhow, from my perspective, the ball is rolling again, so I'm good with that. I just hope Peter doesn't harm his health from over doing it.

Steven

I thought I'd post a picture of the difference in shock length. That is with the length adjuster out at maximum allowed .4 inch. Peter is on the case...

IMG_6487-1.jpg

Steven

I emailed the pictures to Peter and Penske and Eric from Penske agreed that something is wrong so they are sending me a return label. They also said they would fix it and return it the same day. I guess all you have to do is ask...

I'm so excited, I just can't hide it,
I'm about to lose control and I think I like it.
I'm so excited, I just can't hide it,
I know, I know, I know, I want to.
(I know, I know, I know, I want to.
I know, I know, I know, I want to.
I know, I know, I know, I want to.)

BigO1987

Still waiting for mine, the 8975 model. I hope I don't have to deal with this issue. I found a shop that will do the install and put race tech emulators in the front forks. I can't wait to get it done. Also will order a MRA screen attachment and hope this improves the wind/turbulence issues that I am currently dealing with. Just on a quest for the perfect ride!!!!

Steven

Still waiting for mine, the 8975 model. I hope I don't have to deal with this issue. I found a shop that will do the install and put race tech emulators in the front forks. I can't wait to get it done. Also will order a MRA screen attachment and hope this improves the wind/turbulence issues that I am currently dealing with. Just on a quest for the perfect ride!!!!

Just be sure the Penske is about 295 mm (11.6 inch) long before installing (bolt hole to bolt hole) I would hate for you to go to all the trouble of removing your oem shock to find out that you have the same problem.

Frankly, I "still" have faith in Penske.

As for the emulators, Peter said that he insists on doing the install because some people have botched it up, but that requires sending the forks to him. On the other hand, many people have done it themselves successfully. If you're heavier, like me, you'll want to go with heavier springs too. I found that I only had an inch of available travel on my front forks.

I've had a number of bikes over the years (This is my first Honda) and I've never given the suspension a second thought. This bike is different, the ride is actually very good until you get into the rough stuff and then the suspension just beats me to death. I don't know how it is for lighter people, but I think the shock should be able to work well within the load ratings of the bike without falling apart (figuratively speaking). Oh well, I still like the bike "a lot" for the other things it does well.

As for wind turbulence, with no side winds it's almost windless behind the CB and x-creen shields. The only real wind seems to be coming up from under the tank and that can get real bad with strong side winds, at times even trying to pull my helmet off my head. I've found that blocking this wind (with my arm) from going into the bottom of the helmet greatly reduces the noise.

Last edited:

Steven

Just got an email from Eric at Penske and they're done with my shock, it should be here Saturday. They said the shock had the wrong body length on it which made it too short. Once the ball got rolling they got right on it, two thumbs up for Peter and Eric.

BigO1987

Will be getting my Penske shock next week. Have appointment with suspension shop for install and for emulalators and new springs for front forks in a couple of weeks. Looking forward to getting this project done and do some touring.