Oil filter woes.

J Kevin

I bought my 2017CTX about a year ago from a dealer Concord Ca. It had 6000 mi on it. They said they did a complete service on it. I am a little over 16000 mi and started on a service. I drained the oil and tried to remove the oil filter. It would not break loose. The last wrench I used was a strap wrench with a 3/4" strap and a handle you cough put a 1/2" breaker bar. No go. I used a 10" piece of pipe as an extension. Still no go. I contacted the dealer and they said the would remove the oil filter and do the complete service for me. It will take me about 2 hrs each way but I feel it will be worth it to let them correct the mistake. I will let you know what happens. PS when changing an oil filter, lube the gasket and screw the filter until it makes contact with the block. Then add 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn. I will let you know how it turns out.

Vulcan Mediator

I did my first oil replacement in November. I tightened it by hand, then got maybe another 1/4 turn before it was starting to feel like it was too much. Bike has been running well with no leaks. From what I have read, a lot of people over tighten filters.