Impressions of a sport bike rider on a CTX I bought

Clear

I am a new owner of a ctx700n. While I have ridden off road and sport bikes for many years, this is my first “cruiser” type bike. I am so very surprised at how much I like this motorcycle. I bought it from a gentleman who had laid it down in a gravel covered corner and it scared him such that I bought it ONLY because it was so cheap.

I am 65, (5 ft 11 inch, 195 lbs) and have ridden sport bikes for years and I can’t remember the last time I rode an on-road bike that had less than 100 horsepower (even my 219 pound off-road bike has 52 horsepower). My point is, that my test ride was BORING and the bike seemed underpowered for my habits.

However I have come to like the different riding position (not “scrunched up”) as compared to the sport bike. I find the almost electric like power/torque of the bike is relaxing. It almost feels like when I want my blood pressure and excitement level raised, I ride my sport bike and when I want my blood pressure lowered and to relax I now ride the CTX. It is completely capable powerwise for around town and level land touring. I LOVE the gas mileage average over 63 miles per gallon. I LOVE the lower center of gravity and the maneuverability that comes with it.

I think this bike is an underappreciated gem in the age of sportbikes and have been very happy to have discovered this middle-weight cruiser. I find myself using it more than my sportbike (a 1000cc twin).

The fuel injection is spot on and it starts immediately in the 32-34 degree mornings I now have. The only change to the bike is that I lowered the bars a bit by rotating them backwards and I think I will mount floorboards. I had bought the bike to simply sell it for more than I bought it for but now find myself wanting to keep it. If I keep the bike (as I think I will), I will add a windshield and try touring (something I’ve not done before).

Actually, now that I think about it, I did have a honda ST1100 a few years before that I only had for 6 months or so and did think that was a wonderful bike. I simply didn’t use it for cruising and it was much heavier. This one is wonderful in city traffic.
Clear

Woodswoman

Welcome, Clear! Where ya from?

While I've never been a sport bike rider, I have to agree with you that the CTX700 is an underappreciated gem. I've owned many cruisers, from middleweight to heavy bagger, and I've also owned several superscooters. To me, the CTX700 is the best of the lot. I'd prefer more displacement myself, but this bike is versatile as heck, modest power notwithstanding. It just does what you ask of it, with no drama.

A major plus for me was having a parallel twin motor in a cruiser frame. I'll take a parallel over a V-twin any day ... and cruiser ergonomics simply work well for me.

I highly recommend swapping the footpegs for floor boards. It does a lot for customized comfort. I'm also an advocate of the MadStad shield for the N model, although there are other choices that frankly look better.

Clear

Hi @Woodswoman

I am in Prescott, Arizona. Like you said, I agree a bit more displacement would be nice but as a single rider, it is sufficient. I think it would be too anemic for doubling up with two full sized adults on the bike for any length of time on the freeway (especially up hill...). I do look forward to a few shorter rides of perhaps 150 miles or so. I think I will probably get a small convertible car for long rides at this point when my wife is with me at this point. I may trade my larger support bike for a vtx to see if a transition to cruiser ergonomics is going to be a long term condition or an upright sport tourer is better. I change to different bikes every couple of years....

Also, I think your advice regarding footpegs and windshield is wise and plan to go that way as well.

Thanks

kurtzinpa

I bought a CTX last fall. Having been on a GS for 10 years, the cruiser position was strange. Didn't feel like I could balance well. A local dealer took off two trim pieces and installed floorboards. very nice... Looking at the photo, I think they are on backwfloorboards.jpgards...

motrcycl

I am a new owner of a ctx700n. While I have ridden off road and sport bikes for many years, this is my first “cruiser” type bike. I am so very surprised at how much I like this motorcycle. I bought it from a gentleman who had laid it down in a gravel covered corner and it scared him such that I bought it ONLY because it was so cheap.

I am 65, (5 ft 11 inch, 195 lbs) and have ridden sport bikes for years and I can’t remember the last time I rode an on-road bike that had less than 100 horsepower (even my 219 pound off-road bike has 52 horsepower). My point is, that my test ride was BORING and the bike seemed underpowered for my habits.

However I have come to like the different riding position (not “scrunched up”) as compared to the sport bike. I find the almost electric like power/torque of the bike is relaxing. It almost feels like when I want my blood pressure and excitement level raised, I ride my sport bike and when I want my blood pressure lowered and to relax I now ride the CTX. It is completely capable powerwise for around town and level land touring. I LOVE the gas mileage average over 63 miles per gallon. I LOVE the lower center of gravity and the maneuverability that comes with it.

I think this bike is an underappreciated gem in the age of sportbikes and have been very happy to have discovered this middle-weight cruiser. I find myself using it more than my sportbike (a 1000cc twin).

The fuel injection is spot on and it starts immediately in the 32-34 degree mornings I now have. The only change to the bike is that I lowered the bars a bit by rotating them backwards and I think I will mount floorboards. I had bought the bike to simply sell it for more than I bought it for but now find myself wanting to keep it. If I keep the bike (as I think I will), I will add a windshield and try touring (something I’ve not done before).

Actually, now that I think about it, I did have a honda ST1100 a few years before that I only had for 6 months or so and did think that was a wonderful bike. I simply didn’t use it for cruising and it was much heavier. This one is wonderful in city traffic.
Clear
Enjoyed your message. I will be 73 this year.......how in the hell did that ever happen. Own a H-D Fatboy and Sportster, Yamaha TMAX. Purchased a 2014 DCT last year because I thought the Fatboy might be getting a little 'big'. Well anyway, Winter set in and I get bored and start to buy 'stuff', like a Memphis Shades Batwing fairing for the Fatboy, etc.........looks like I am planning on keeping it........not ready give up yet. Back to the CTX, I really like it and since I have never been a 'throttle jock', it fits my need very well. It had floorboards, after market windshield and bags when purchased. I have since added MadStad lowers and will install a center stand. Take care, stay safe.

J Kevin

Clear, you are right on! I will be 78 in Dec this year. I started riding in the early 70's when I could no longer afford to race sports cars. My older brother said Ducati just came out with a new dirt bike. Lets go trail riding. So my first bike was a Ducati 450 R/T ( it is now in my living room). My wife and I road dirt and some street, but she had a bad spill on the road and that ended our riding. I lost her about 10 years ago and I moved out of the bay area to the foothill north of Sacramento. I ran into a 3 old farts that road almost every week. I got a bike and started riding again. I went thru 4 or 5 bikes and settle on a 2017 Ducati Multistrada 950. I said this is the one I will keep. It has been a great bike with every thing I could ask for (I thought). I started reading up on the DCT transmissions on bikes and it got My attention. I knew a little about them from following F1 and Indy Cars. I found a used 2017 and took it for a test ride. Bought it!.
I liked everything about it except the lack of power. After riding it for about 2 months I came home one day and realized I had ignored the Ducati. I was in my gear, so I jumped on the Ducati and went for a ride. It was a short ride (about 20 miles) my legs were killing me. I had become use to the forward pegs.
I am getting use to the transmission and I am getting more performance out of the bike. It will be my main bike. I will stay with this one until someone comes out with the same thing with more power. J Kevin

Boomerbeach

Nearly 73, in concurrence.... 1st bike an insane Kawazki 500cc-2 stroke Mach III.. More recently, small scoots, upon arrival in lovely BackBay Newport, SoCal. A lil Kymco 125.. better Kymco 150 Super 8. Next, an amazin Burgman 400, a great 1-lunger with 8500 redline (rev Ltd @ 9300!), comfort and storage. Need for speed critically advanced with 1/19 acquisition of a '07 VFR 800.. Too much ...
My 2/20 CTX DCT great buy, is near perfecto mundo, no, I would not trade-up for just 750-800cc, instead, same or larger engine with some REVS! C'mon now, the stock 6750 CTX Redline is shortfall!.. Shoot, my Burgie 400, a conservative scoot had Better engine performance. While I have no need for my VFR800 VTECH kick to nearly 13000 redline, I really desire some REVS to 8500-9000, easily accomplished by Honda... with Reliability.. If there was a Honda performance kit for my DCT, I'd definitely consider it!.. Boomer in SoCal

J Kevin

I just wanted to add to my above post. Its been about a year and I discovered that the bike munch for my style of riding then when I first bought it. I did some more reading on it and it seems the computer will make changes to meet your style of riding. It now has a lot more get up and go. Great response. I don't miss the Ducati as munch anymore. I will keep this bike. You need to try one with the DCT. I love it. J Kevin

Fiddlecraig

I am changing from a Versys 650 to a CTX. My need for speed is not excessive, and the Honda seems to be more what I need. It will be a different kind of fun.