Fork seals

Woodswoman

Hi, friends. Hope you're all enjoying your autumn riding.

I had "Flicker" into the shop recently, and my mechanic advised me to keep an eye on my front forks. He pointed out that they looked slightly hazy, with a few darker lines starting to form -- probably an indication that the fork seals are going downhill, he warned me.

Never having seen a fork seal going kaput before, I thought I'd ask the more experienced members what signs to look for that mean it's time to get the seals replaced.

Should I take "Flicker" back to the shop now and get this dealt with? Or is there some interim sign that means the next step is seeing drips?

Thank you,
Woodswoman

MJC

Super Moderator
Keep your forks clean, dirt on your forks will go into the fork seals, making marks. It does not mean that the seals are bad. You should clean the forks and then wax them. This is about all you can do. When they start to leak, then replace them, but I think what you are seeing is just ground-in dirt on the outside of the seals, just like if you where to clean off a windshield with a dirty rag.

Just like a windshield you can polish it, and it will be fine.

BTW, Fork oil is just that, oil and will not discolor your forks, but dirt will.

Woodswoman

Keep your forks clean, dirt on your forks will go into the fork seals, making marks. It does not mean that the seals are bad. You should clean the forks and then wax them. This is about all you can do. When they start to leak, then replace them, but I think what you are seeing is just ground-in dirt on the outside of the seals, just like if you where to clean off a windshield with a dirty rag.

Just like a windshield you can polish it, and it will be fine.

BTW, Fork oil is just that, oil and will not discolor your forks, but dirt will.

Thank you, MJ!!!